"Fashion is something barbarous, for it produces innovation without reason, and imitation without benefit."
- George Santayana
- George Santayana
Sure, it may sound like a crazy idea to buy new leather, and then treat it to make it look like worn out and old, but then, that is the reason, fashion is fashion. Distressed leather is used to create various clothing items, like gloves, belts, and jackets. Most consumers tend to find such leather more appealing than the new one.
How to Distress a Leather Jacket
If you have been eying that distressed leather motorcycle jacket that your friend owns for eons now, then you can style your own jacket too. All you need is a jacket made from leather, sandpaper, wire brush, 2 spray bottles, rubbing alcohol, water, and a rag.
Given are the instructions to treat a jacket, and transform it into an old jacket.
- Take both the spray bottles. Fill one with rubbing alcohol, and the other with water.
- Now, take the jacket, and spray the area that you want to distress with rubbing alcohol. Make sure that the area is completely soaked in the alcohol.
- Now, take the wire brush, and start brushing the area that you just sprayed the alcohol on. Decide how old you want the jacket to look. If you want a very slight distress, then rough up the jacket for a very small period. Remember, it will be difficult to change the way an area looks, once it has been distressed completely.
- If you wish that the leather jacket should have a smoother worn out look, then use a sandpaper on the alcohol-treated areas.
- Repeat this procedure for all other areas that you want to treat.
- Once you have treated the jacket completely, you can use the second spray bottle, filled with water, to wash off the rubbing alcohol. Finally, wipe the jacket with a rag.
While this may not be the best method of distressing leather, there are people, who seem to swear about how well it works on leather jackets. Reviews of leather jackets always harp about the care that they need.
Distressed jackets, though look worn out and old, need the same care. If you own a leather jacket, it is important that you know how to clean it. Always, hang the jacket on a hanger, preferably a wooden one, and avoid folding it, as it may cause creases. Remember to never wash or dry clean the jacket.
Leather jacket is one of the most favorite clothing items for men as well as women. It spells casual style without being overbearing. Distressed jackets add to the look by giving it a more toned down and worn look that just enhances the style quotient.