Business casual looks for men are fun to create, comfortable to wear, and appropriate for most corporate settings. So, how do you style your favorite outfits to make yourself appear put together? Keep reading for the tips and tricks you just can’t get dressed without.
What are business casual looks for men?
Dressing in business casual clothes can be very liberating, especially for someone with a demanding corporate job. However, there’s a big difference between sporting relaxed outfits and being inappropriate in the workplace. That’s why it’s important to understand what business casual actually means.
By definition, business casual is an umbrella term for acceptable corporate ensembles. So, outfits typically include items like leisure suits, short-sleeved shirts, khakis, and tennis shoes or sneakers. And while it’s relatively rare to see this all the time, it’s still considered a respectable way to dress by most businesses and consumers.
DID YOU KNOW: Business casual started with an event called “Aloha Fridays” back in the 1960s. Participants would wear Hawaiian shirts for the day to celebrate the end of a successful work week.
10 tips for making the most of your corporate dress code
Consider yourself lucky if you’re allowed to wear business casual looks for men because not all offices are the same. And make the most of your fortunate fashion choices by using these 10 simple styling tricks:
- Wear a tailored blazer over a clean, pressed button-up shirt.
- Just say no to plain t-shirts and be wary of polos too.
- Pair a fitted sweater or sweater-vest with a collared shirt underneath.
- Stay away from the baggy stuff.
- Choose dress slacks, trousers, or high-end fitted denim only.
- Stick with solid, monochromatic colors over busy patterns and prints.
- Only use patterns to highlight your figure or hide your insecurities.
- Pick polished dress shoes before wearing sneakers, sandals, or (gasp) flip-flops.
- Be smart with your accessories and make sure they coordinate.
- Combine fashion with function as much as possible.
STYLE TIP: Only wear items that are made from durable, high-quality materials.
3 accessories to wear with business casual looks for men
The right accessories are especially important when creating business casual looks for men. But you can’t just slap on whatever’s in your closet and think it works. There’s a method to this madness, so listen up:
- Coordinating socks – Wear new socks at all times, especially if your pants or shoes let your ankles show (which they should).
- Polished wristwatches – This will bring attention to your hands and make you appear well-prepared for the day’s events.
- Matching belts – As a general rule, make sure your belt matches your shoes and briefcase.
Keep in mind that you can also wear jewelry such as wedding rings, necklaces, and sometimes even earrings. Your corporate dress code depends on the business policies, though. So, be sure to ask someone in HR for more information.
Casual Fridays may not involve Hawaiian shirts anymore but that doesn’t mean they’re not still enjoyable. So, create a look that says you’re ready for work and then wear it with confidence.