From the 1930s to the '60s, a cloth of a thin material was worn by African-American men to keep their chemically processed hair and their hairstyle intact through the night. It was worn in a cap-like manner and was also known as a do-rag, durag, or dew-rag. In 1990s and 2000s, do-rags re-emerged as wave caps.
Wave caps were popularized by several rappers as a fashion accessory. However, the main purpose of a wave cap is to accentuate waves in the hair. The use of this cap is prevalent among the youth today.
Earlier wave caps were made using woman's stockings. Nowadays, they are made with thin materials like polyester and nylon. One can get these caps in several colors. However, black is the most dominant among them.
A typical wave cap, like a skullcap, fits tightly around a person's head. However, there are bandana-like wave caps where you wrap it around your head and tie a knot on your nape.
By following some simple instructions on using a wave cap, one can use it to create waves in one's hair. Usually, it is used on hair cut up to 1 inch long.
1. Wash your hair thoroughly with a good shampoo and then use a conditioner.
2. Let the hair dry.
3. Take a wave pomade.
4. On rubbing it on your hands, the pomade gets a liquid-like consistency.
5. Apply the pomade on your scalp and the hair.
6. Use a soft-bristle brush with a wooden handle that will help you apply the appropriate pressure to brush your hair.
7. Brush the front section of your hair forward. Apply a gentle pressure while brushing the hair.
8. Brush the side sections of your hair on the side and back section towards the back of your head.
9. Apply more pomade if needed. However, see to it that you do not go overboard with it, as too much wax makes the scalp itchy. Brush your hair again after reapplying the pomade.
10. Wear a wave cap to keep your waves secure.
1. Take a wave cap carefully out of its packaging. As it is made out of thin material, the chances of it tearing are high.
2. Open the cap gently.
3. Bow your head down and place the cap on the head such that the hear is fully covered. Start from below your hairline and stretch the cap to the front of your head.
4. Sleep overnight with the wave cap on. If you do not want to keep it overnight, wear it for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove the cap and you are sure to see a wave pattern in your hair. If you want the waves to stay longer, you will need to repeat the process for 3-5 nights in a week.
Wave caps help create a wave pattern in short hair and also protect the hair. These caps can also be used as a fashion accessory.